Time spent in the garden and kitchen is not time wasted; the essence of quality is attained through toil, not technology.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

MKMW-Finnish Meat Balls

I am already confused in my new journey with My Kitchen, My World- after realizing that I posted my link incorrectly before I even wrote this blog.   And, secondly, for thinking that a simple sounding recipe would be quick & easy.   Ha, the joke is on me. After my research on Finnish recipes, I chose to try this meatball selection, even though there many wonderful sounding bread recipes.    Those are really my favorite, but I had just completed Irish Soda Bread for Tuesdays with Dorie.


FINNISH MEAT BALLS

1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 egg
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. evaporated milk

Soak bread crumbs in 1/2 cup milk and combine with beef, onion, egg and seasonings. Form into small balls and brown in butter. Add flour to drippings in pan and make gravy, add 1 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Return meat balls to gravy and cover and simmer 30 minutes or bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

This recipe is reprinted from the Cooks.com site.

I followed the directions rather closely but did add more seasoning- as it seemed bland to me.   We live in Texas & bland does not describe our eating habits!
I am rather a novice with meatballs and found them just a little tricky to brown correctly on all sides- I know that sounds downright silly, but it is true!
 The basics-meat & onion
 Everything needs a wee bit of this!
 Dachs ready to help Mom
 Nicely browned finally
 Ahhh, the sauce.
And then my gravy required the quick immersion blender save when it lumped up in a real jiffy.   All in all, this was a nice, substantial meal- the meatballs were served on a bed of rice with a crisp, green salad on the side.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you paired this with an apple, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, that apple- I decided that the Finnish people must use colored plates or something to jazz up those mild mannered dishes. I use white plates mostly & knew this dish had to have a hint of rouge!

      Delete
  2. Your meatballs look delicious! I am loving that creamy sauce. Thanks for cooking along with us this month, so glad you joined!

    Your dachshunds are so cute! I had one growing up and they are such fun dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- they were pretty darn tasty, after all. I am excited to adventure into some new international cuisines- this will be fun. And, yes, our dachsies are so much fun- we laugh quite often at their shenanigans!

      Delete